My photo
Radom-Toronto-Montréal-Wien
Music. Personal musings.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Schikaneder At Last


Theater an der Wien

View of Naschmarkt, opposite the theatre


Last night I saw a performance of Britten's Death in Venice in the theatre built by the librettist of Mozart's Magic Flute, who was also the first Papageno. Many thanks to my friend playing the piano in the orchestra for buying the ticket for me as an early birthday present. I was doubly glad, as I have not been to this intimate theatre before, despite trying to catch Pelléas et Mélisande with Natalie Dessay there unsuccessfully last year. This night was also memorable for it being the first time in Vienna I had a seat, rather than a standing room spot!

5 comments:

  1. I got to see a dress rehearsal of Don Giovanni here about 10 years ago, with Abbado conducting and Ruggero Raimondi as Giovanni. It was a thrill of course. But what I remember now after all these years is how the proportions of the house make a difference for the transparency and power of the music... BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, BB. The modern gargantuan monsters take away so much from the immediacy and communion with the music and with the people in the theatre. It is also fantastic to be able to understand each word - if the singer has good diction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and I am very much looking forward to Rossini's Tancredi, as it is being performed there on period instruments (Jacobs, Champs-Élysées), as well as appearances by Gruberova and especially von Otter, whom I admire immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Otter - love her - I've seen her all over (London, Toronto, Boston, New York) - No, I'm not stalking her... I especially love her encores where she often brings out her alternative repertoire of popular and traditional songs... BB

    ReplyDelete