My photo
Radom-Toronto-Montréal-Wien
Music. Personal musings.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Sturm und Knödel

On a gorgeous sunny Sunday afternoon in September some new lovely friends and I biked along the Danube to an authentic Heuriger in Kahlenbergerdorf. Heurige are local taverns that sell only the current vintage from their own vinyards by which they are surrounded. Some food is offered (hot buffet and cold plates) - but they are not restaurants. A speciality of the fall season is Sturm, a young "new wine" that is partially fermented, cloudy and slightly fizzy, which we supplemented with a white wine Spritzer and Knödel mit Sauerkraut, a sort of chewy, sometimes stuffed dumpling with a side of pickled cabbage. Delicious, and representative of traditional Polish food as well! For dessert, a spotting of the house where I was told Schubert wrote his famous Serenade.




4 comments:

  1. so wonderful that you are enjoying yourself!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear jane... i am happy to be living a dream. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love wandering around the hills near Vienna. For me it was an important window into Viennese nature. When Beethoven took walks in nature he wasn't Heathcliff on the heath, but a city dweller out in bucolic suburb... Have been to see the brook and the Beethovengang? BB

    ReplyDelete
  4. The main benefit of living in the 16 Bezirk is my proximity to hills, forest, Wilhelminenberg, and perhaps the most charming suburbs in the world. Have not done the walk, nor visited Heiligenstadt, which I think I will on my own in the near future. It sounds like you may have lived here as well; feel free to pass on personal favourite bits/things Viennese as they come to you. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete