My photo
Radom-Toronto-Montréal-Wien
Music. Personal musings.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

7 Things I Like

0. Garlic.
1. Opera, at number 1.
2. Being nowhere: between places, travelling on a bus, train, airplane, momentarily free and with a bird’s eye view of daily life concerns; reflecting on the life left behind and the one ahead.
2A. Driving late at night on an empty road or highway, flipping through favourite radio stations.
3. The profound peace at bedtime, after having had spent the entire day working. A rather elusive endeavor.
4. Trying to see out into the drizzling, prematurely dark fall evening through the window of a Viennese streetcar (the older model), preferably on the way to an opera, naturally.
5. Walking city streets, Viennese suburbs, forest and meadow, Niagara Escarpment’s Bruce Trail, simply being out in nature.
6. Honesty, truth, kindness, considerateness, thoughtfulness, integrity, generosity of spirit, commitment to living the best life one is capable of, not compromising quality, whether the effort will go unnoticed or not.
7. Preparing buckwheat crêpes and coffee in the morning in anticipation of a close friend.
7. “Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure.”

6 comments:

  1. bravo!! :) Number 6 really speaks to me ... and *muah* on number 7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plenty of people share your appreciation of the Bruce Trail and the Niagara Escarpment! We publish a quarterly magazine dedicated to the many wonderful things along the Escarpment. Our website gives a great idea of what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Gloria for the link to the website! I've done many hikes over the years on this trail - a real treasure of Ontario. One day I, like so many others, would love to do the entire trail in one go. I see on the website there is mention of Ron Greidanus and the Georgetown Bach Choral: I've played the baroque violin with them many times over the years, and Ron is a good personal friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. It's a small world. Perhaps I've seen you perform with the chorale! I've followed them for years, since Ron founded the group -- I think it's more than 10 years now. We're happy that Escarpment Views is a media sponsor for them. We love supporting arts along the Escarpment. Tell Ron hello from me, and that we connected through your blog. Why not leave a comment about your connection on our blog post about the Chorale?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In that case I'm quite positive that you have seen me play, Gloria! And thank you for supporting the arts in the area. Many times it feels like there is very little of that here, especially amongst the general public. Ron has given some people in the community a wonderful opportunity to engage with each other through music making, a perfect example of music's power to bring people together. I apologise about the tardy responses, it's been a hectic time recently.

    ReplyDelete